Thursday, April 3, 2014

Insights from Linda Loving

Linda Loving
Linda Loving makes her MCT debut in LEND ME A TENOR. She recently returned to both her hometown of Milwaukee and her acting career! Here are a few more insights from Linda...

Tell us a bit about your character, Julia:



Julia Leverett, Chairman of the Cleveland Opera Guild, is an absolutely delicious character! She floats and fawns and fearlessly charges in and out of peoples' lives. She is used to "getting her way," whether through feminine wiles (even at sixty!) or blatant threats. Just when you think she has the personal power and style to run an entire industry...her flakiness and gullibility emerge. Over-the-top charming and exasperating, yet you can't help but love her. I do.

What are some of the benefits and challenges of performing in a farce/comedy?


Performing farce is such a beautiful challenge. Even the slamming doors become characters to reckon with! An actor has permission to "overdo" a tad in farce which is always fun. And OH - the timing! Challenges of electric, perfect timing - your mind can't wander for an instant! And I think actors have to trust each other and rely on one another in a very particular way in farce. This makes for a unique cast connection. In early rehearsals we could hardly get through the script, we were all laughing so hard at one another. Pure joy! 


What are some of your favorite moments in theatre that made you who you are today?

My favorite theatre moment was early in my career when I played Stella in "Streetcar." It was opening night and my parents were in the front row. When I came sliding down a winding staircase in blue light and a black slip (responding to Stanley's "STELLA!!!), I actually heard my mother gasp. She came to my dressing room afterwards saying "when I loaned you that black slip I assumed you were going to wear something OVER it!". Ah the surprise of theatre, of becoming someone else. I have been trying to "take people aback" ever since!

What do you like about being a theatre artist in Milwaukee?

Two years ago when I decided to return to my acting career, I was ready to move anywhere in the country. I considered several cities, but honestly Milwaukee won hands down. What a well kept secret Milwaukee is! I love all the various theatre groups and the generous spirit of the arts community here. Plus, I have ALWAYS loved the Milwaukee Brewers!!! Great to be "home"!

Thanks Linda! We can't wait to see you in TENOR, April 10-27.

No comments:

Post a Comment