Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Young Playwrights Festival Winner H'Vyn Jones

YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL 2012-2013: Messmer High School graduate H'vyn Jones is one of our three winning playwrights! Her one-act play, JUST ANOTHER DAY IN DENTURES, will presented at each performance, March 21-24, 2013.
Playwright H'Vyn Jones
 

What is it like to have your work recognized and produced by a professional theatre company like Milwaukee Chamber Theatre? 
Having my work recognized and produced by a professional theater company like Milwaukee Chamber Theatre is remarkable! Through this experience I realized that I have real talent in writing, and I am honored that Milwaukee Chamber Theatre gave me the opportunity to strengthen my talent.

Have you worked at all with the director/cast to edit the script?  If so, what was this process like? 
The director and I got a chance to edit and revise the script together, and whenever she had a suggestion she would let me know. This made me feel like I was really a part of the process even though I could not physically be with the cast to make those changes.

Just Another Day in Dentures deals with a family finding connections previously thought not practical or possible.  What inspired you to write a play like this? 
My play Just Another Day in Dentures started off as an English assignment in my junior year of high school. I was not sure what to write, but I knew I wanted to write about something different and out-of-the-box. I talked it over with my family, and it took a few days for me to finalize my topic, but once I did all my creativity started flowing out of me. I have a really strong relationship with all of my grandparents, and I understand that not everyone has that, so I wanted to really capture that relationship and make it into a play.
  
What do you want the audience to take away or learn from watching this play?
I want the audience to realize that the elders in our lives have a lot to offer us and we should show our appreciation more often. I think the younger generation today sometimes forgets to do that.
  
Is playwriting something you are considering as a career path?
Although I have not considered playwriting as a career, I have considered acting as a career because I have always enjoyed drama and the theater.

Thanks H'vyn! Don't miss the YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL, March 21-24, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment