Tuesday, November 15, 2011

An Interview with Daniel Mooney



A Milwaukee native, Daniel returns to MCT where he has been seen in MOONLIGHT AND MAGNOLIAS, TAKE ME OUT, MISALLIANCE, HAY FEVER, HOMEBODY/KABUL, HOTEL ON MARVIN GARDENS, MEDEA, LOVE LETTERS, MAJOR BARBARA and WAITING FOR GODOT. In addition to 20-some years with Milwaukee Repertory Theater, he has worked with Next Act Theatre, Renaissance Theaterworks, First Stage, Skylight Opera Theatre and Theatre Gigante. In a career of over 40 years, he has worked at theatres across the country and has appeared in over 200 productions. He has been seen on television in Law & Order and The Untouchables (1993-94).

To gain further insights about Dan, we asked him a few questions about himself and his upcoming performance as Philippe.

  1. What have been some of your most memorable moments working in theatre?
For more than 40 years I have been lucky enough to work with many wonderful people in many wonderful productions so I have many wonderful memories. My favorite was in 1980, I was the narrator in A CHRISTMAS CAROL at The Rep. On opening night my three-year-old son was sitting on his mother’s lap in the fourth row. The house lights went down, the curtain went up, the light came up on me, I took a deep breath and before I could speak the first line: “Marley was dead.” A small voice, which filled the Pabst, yelled, “THAT’S MY DADDY!”

  1. You’re from Milwaukee, but you’ve also worked at theatres across the country, in your opinion, what is unique about theatre in Milwaukee?
Milwaukee is a great theater town because many talented young people choose to stay and work here. We have so many outlets – Renaissance, Next Act, Milwaukee Chamber, First Stage, In Tandem, Boulevard and The Rep.
As a result you will see some of the best, newest most exciting work in the country.

  1. Tell us about your first reaction to the HEROES script?
The first time I read it I thought it was very sad. The second time, I thought it was very funny. It is Tom Stoppard after all. I hope the audiences see both.

  1. What is your favorite Philippe quote?
The favorite line from Philippe is: “It’s a bugger.”

My favorite line from the play is when Gustave perfectly describes the months of the year: “Don’t talk to me about autumn. September and October are living death. November is a funeral… December is the stupidest month of the lot- Christmas! January and February you think are never going to end… March and April can’t make up their minds… Then- God help us- here come May, June, July…”

  1. What message do you hope the audience takes from this play?
There used to be an expression: “If you have a message call Western Union.” Now it would be: “If you have a message post it on Facebook.” I just want the audience to sit down, turn off their cell phone and enjoy what we’re giving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment