Wednesday, April 4, 2018

DOUBT's Double Debuts: An Interview with Colleen Madden & Malkia Stampley

by Jarrod Langwinski

Both Colleen Madden and Malkia Stampley have extensive, enviable acting resumes. Colleen, based out of Madison, is a Core Company member at American Players Theatre, who's appeared at Forward Theater Company, Children's Theatre of Madison, Renaissance Theaterworks, the Milwaukee Rep and more. And Malkia is based right here in Milwaukee -- she's a graduate of Marquette, former Rep acting intern and former Skylight Resident Artist -- but has branched out beyond our stages to television, with credits on Shameless, Chicago PD, Empire and a recurring role on Showtime's The Chi.

But there's one place neither of them have ever performed - right here at Milwaukee Chamber Theatre!

DOUBT marks the first MCT show for both Colleen and Malkia, playing Sister Aloysius and Mrs. Muller, respectively. To mark the occasion, we asked them a few questions about their careers and their roles in the show.

Being someone who has performed on a variety of platforms and genres, what kind of characters have you enjoyed the most and what works are captivating you today?

Colleen: It’s always difficult to say what roles, or what kind of roles, are my favorites. Part of the joy of acting is getting to investigate such a variety of types of people. It’s a bit like my children; they’re all my favorites!
I tend to favor poetic plays, poetic in both language and physicality. In essence, theater that doesn’t translate to screen. Plays like THE BROTHERS SIZE, which I recently saw at MCT. It was a world of its own and made me feel I was watching language be reinvented. I do enjoy the occasional episodic, sitcom-structure play, though I suspect tv and film will always do that better.

Malkia: I find myself drawn to contemporary works that deal with current hot topics or any piece that I can parallel with issues in our community today. I strongly believe the theater has to stay relevant and fight continuously to be a part of the conversations happening around the country. I love musicals and started my career primarily singing and dancing in the American classics but I am so grateful that I have been able to find a balance.
I played Truly Scrumptious in CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG at First Stage just a few months ago and shortly after was in a workshop for a play that focused on the Flint Water Crisis. The light-hearted, not-too-deep works remind me to laugh and the more heavy pieces remind me that our work as an artist can be a catalyst for political and social change.

What excites you the most about Milwaukee's theatre scene?

Colleen: That there is so much going on! And that the smaller or middle-sized theaters are doing really ambitious works, both contemporary and classic, and doing them exceptionally well! The theater scene here makes me want to move to Milwaukee.

Malkia: There has been a shift, a new consciousness in programming and inclusion in Milwaukee. Milwaukee theaters have a very long way to go in terms of diversity and inclusion but I see there are steps being taken and that does excite me! I also love that there is still room for growth in the theater community. Smaller theaters are increasing or maintaining their programming and larger theaters are finding new audiences. It's an exciting time. I love that the few artists of color in Milwaukee have more of a chance to work.

Malkia Stampley.
DOUBT takes place during a time of great change in our country's history; socially, politically, and in the realm of religion. How do you think it speaks to today's movements of change as well as feelings of uncertainty and what do you think contemporary audiences can learn from plays like DOUBT?

Colleen: I think it urges us not to flee from the gray areas just because we don’t completely understand. Great swaths of us are single issue voters, and refuse to take in all the complexities of an issue, at the cost of the two things that make us uniquely human: reason and compassion.

Malkia: DOUBT reminds us that one's platform or fight is not for everyone and we have to be okay with that. We do not know everyone's story or agenda. People have baggage and sometimes complex situations that make it difficult to march or support a particular cause, no matter how basic and right it appears to all of us.
I read about black teen activists who refused to march for the March of Our Lives. The platform is strong, the cause is rooted in the desire for unity and justice, but when you look at the complete lack of interest, support and coverage for teens of color who were often demonized for marching or speaking up by all kinds of people since the killing of Trayvon Martin or even since the crack epidemic in the 1980s, its difficult not to understand. People have called them stupid and believe they are missing an opportunity to shed a light on their causes, but I wonder if the black teen activists who refuse to participate see that the fight to protect their agenda is more important than rushing to pick up someone else's.

Colleen, you've been performing with American Players Theatre for 18 seasons. What's something valuable you've learned over that time that's helped you grow as an actor?

Colleen: That I’m only one part of the story. When we rehearse in that gray big open space at APT, in front of a thousand empty seats, we sometimes feel a little lost. When, finally, people arrive en masse and fill up those seats, we hit the groove. We need to give our play to an audience!

Malkia, having had success in Chicago, New York, and even while touring Japan, what has been one of the biggest lessons you've learned as an actor? And how has that helped you work on complex roles such as Mrs. Muller?

Malkia: One of the biggest lessons I have learned as an actor over the past few years is that I am human and most likely so is my character (though I have played a reindeer, dog, alien, etc.) It is very easy to be intimidated by a character and their complexities but letting that character live in me, not judging them and allowing them to be quirky like me, have the same fears and joys as I do, has helped me to appreciate their humanity. Another simple but eye-opening lesson has been the act of breathing and listening. We do it so well in real life! Nerves can shorten breath or keep you in your head, but when I focus on breathing and listening, my character is able to fully exist.

Milwaukee Chamber Theatre's 2017-2018 season is aptly titled, "The Mysteries of Life." How do you think shows such as Doubt, A Parable bring audiences and artists alike to better question or understand their own uncertainties?

Colleen: I really hope that when people leave their seats after seeing Doubt, they are still untangling what happened. That’s life!

Malkia: DOUBT is one of the few pieces that I can hear and watch over and over again. I think it's the trickery in Shanley's writing that forces me to check my judgement in others. There are times I find myself agreeing with one character one day and then disagreeing with them the next!
We are quick to put people in a box based on a feeling, the way they look or the interpretation of something you may have seen. Lingering in uncertainty is what people are afraid of. We rush to make quick decisions about people and situations and refuse to change our opinions. I sometimes can be slow to make a decision but I think it is based in the fear that once I do, I can't change my mind. We all judge or assume and okay, it is what it is, but I hope we learn to acknowledge when we may be wrong about someone or something.

What advice would you give young actors of today as they try to break into the ever-changing world of theatre?

Colleen: First of all, there is so much more to theater than acting! There is design, directing, dramaturgy, coaching, stage management! Go to see theater, as much as you can, and investigate what really turns you on. If it’s acting, study the performances and start to discern what helps the story and what doesn’t. Then audition for local productions. Finally, don’t stress about being nervous and clueless when you get on stage; we all feel that way! Breathe and be.

Malkia: I am a firm believer that whatever you dream long enough you can achieve. I would add to that placing yourself around the right people. For those who are new to a theater community, take an acting class (even if you already have your degree), volunteer to usher, reach out to casting directors of every theater, apply for any type of job (box office, reception). Shift your life to include the theater community you want to be a part of.
My biggest advice is to stay fluid, open, ready and willing to change. If you love the classics, great, but you limit yourself when you refuse to audition for that wacky, abstract new work. The biggest theaters in town may hire you, but for most of us in the local scene, the strongest and most consistent relationships will be with smaller theaters (where you really get to work your chops) and the artists who work in those smaller theaters so don't ever take that for granted - they will be your rock as you travel up the ladder of success and trust me, you will crave that foundation and friendship when it's time to celebrate every success.

No comments:

Post a Comment