Monday, March 27, 2017

MCT Board Member Profile: Kathryn Herman

by Max Seigle
1. WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

I grew up in Milwaukee on the Southwest side and went to Pulaski High School. I left the city in the '50s to study education at Carroll College in Waukesha and have lived there ever since. My husband and I currently live in downtown Waukesha. We love it there. It’s an easy walk to coffee shops and restaurants. We have three children and four grandchildren who all live in the Milwaukee area.

2. HOW DID YOU LEARN ABOUT MCT?

I found out about MCT from a dear friend of mine, Linda Loving. She is a former MCT board member and actress in the community. She always talked about this theatre company and one day mentioned an opportunity to sit on the board. From there, I met with Michael Wright and Kirsten Mulvey and just knew immediately that they were people that I would love to work with. They were so welcoming and enthusiastic. We all felt I could serve the board well as a representative from one of the western counties and as a retired community volunteer. I think the latter is an important voice to have on the board as retirees are part of the mix that we serve.

I have been on the board four years now and really enjoy it. I love coming into the city and being part of the theatre community in the Third Ward. You are surrounded by a lot of fun, creative and highly skilled individuals. I’ve never been so close to the theatre as I am now with MCT and it’s been a wonderful addition to my life.

3. FAVORITE PLAY OR PLAYS?

I loved UNDERNEATH THE LINTEL in 2013. It was a one-man show with James Ridge and he made a tremendous impression on me. He was just amazing in that role and it’s one of those plays that I think of often. I also enjoyed THE TRAIN DRIVER in 2015. It was very powerful and extremely well-done. I loved the fun of BOEING BOEING in 2015 and was a huge fan of the all female company in A LOVELY SUNDAY FOR CREVE COEUR last year.

4. FAVORITE ACTOR?


James Ridge. As I mentioned earlier, he was outstanding in UNDERNEATH THE LINTEL. He is such a versatile actor. He can be very serious and a bit dark but he’s also a great comic actor.

Also (MCT associate artistic director) Marcella Kearns -- she most recently appeared as Berthe in BOEING BOEING and directed VANYA AND SONIA AND MASHA AND SPIKE. Her comedic timing is amazing and she also brings a lot of versatility to the stage. I admire her work as a director as well. She is a real gem for MCT!

5. SPECIAL MOMENTS AT MCT?

I really enjoyed my experience on the Adopt-a-Show committee for A LOVELY SUNDAY FOR CREVE COEUR. As board members, we select different shows to adopt during the season and help the staff with audience development and promotions. We did some fun things with LOVELY SUNDAY, like raffling off a gift certificate to the Milwaukee Public Market. We encouraged the idea of buying a “Picnic at the Park” to go along with the picnic at the park you heard so much about in the show. I was also able to attend the first rehearsal for this production and loved the behind-the-scenes look that these rehearsals offer. You become more intimately involved in the show by hearing first-hand from the actors, the director, the costume designer and the set designer.

I have also been proud to arrange a few groups from my retirement community to see some MCT shows. We rent a big bus and usually pair the experience with a meal. There are many people in the community with a lifetime love of theatre but they can no longer do the drive and miss not being able to go. With the bus, they can get out and enjoy a show easily, so it works out really well. We are going to see GREAT EXPECTATIONS in the spring.

6. WHAT DO YOU DO PROFESSIONALLY?

I am retired now but spent my professional years in education. I was a first grade teacher in the Waukesha public schools for 15 years. Teaching reading was my speciality. My first school was Blair Elementary.

I later went on to work in adult education, focusing on adult literacy. I was the first executive director of what is now called the Literacy Council of Greater Waukesha County. I spent those days recruiting volunteers to work with adult learners, training the tutors and doing publicity and fundraising. This was really heartfelt work, meeting students who went through much of their adult life without knowing how to read. I was impressed at how motivated they were to learn. I remember grandmas who wanted to be able to read stories to their grandchildren and women who wanted to read the Bible. It was very fulfilling and exciting to be a part of this educational renewal.

7. WHAT YOU DO FOR FUN? ANY HOBBIES?

My husband and I love to travel. We’ve seen theatre and opera all over the world. London is my favorite city. The theatre there is not to be missed! We also spend time in Cornwall, a county in the southwestern most part of England. About 15 years ago, we bought a cottage in the town of Penzance and travel back and forth during the year. I love being in the small town and getting to know the neighbors and the shopkeepers. Being so close to the sea, you quickly see how the livelihood is guided by the water and the fishing industry. It’s been a wonderful and enriching life experience for us.

I also enjoy reading modern fiction, and reading and writing poetry. I belong to a book club and an adult poetry appreciation group. I like to write my life stories as well so my children and grandchildren can learn more about my background and where life has taken me.

8. WHERE TO EAT BEFORE A SHOW?

I like the Skylight Bar & Bistro upstairs in the Broadway Theatre Center. I have eaten there with groups from my retirement community before a show.

I also love Swig nearby, and recently had brunch at the new Journeyman Hotel in the Third Ward. It was very nice, too.

9. FAVORITE WISCONSIN SPOT THAT NEVER GETS OLD?

I think I like the City of Milwaukee itself as my favorite spot. The lakefront, the world-class art museum, wonderful restaurants, theatre, music, dance and opera — Milwaukee just has everything. I love being in the city. I think I’m a city girl at heart.

10. FAVORITE SUMMER FESTIVAL?

I like the music, food and ambiance of GermanFest. In Waukesha, my husband and I enjoy Friday Night Live. The festival takes over part of the downtown area and there are live bands to enjoy. It’s nice to get something to drink, wander around, listen to the music and meet up with friends. It’s very informal. People bring their dogs, their children and even set up lawn chairs in the streets.

11. ANY OTHER ORGANIZATIONS THAT YOU’RE A PART OF THAT YOU ENJOY AND WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT?
 

I am proud of the work I do with organizations tied to my Cornish heritage. One is the Cornish Society of Greater Milwaukee. The other is the Cornish American Heritage Society and I am the president of that group. We organize and present educational seminars and conferences that highlight all aspects of Cornish culture. We cover the history, language, literature, genealogy, food and travel ideas. We also stay in close touch with what’s going in Cornwall today.

12. BACK TO MCT: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE PEOPLE IN THE AREA TO KNOW ABOUT THIS THEATRE COMPANY WHO MAY NOT BE FAMILIAR WITH IT?

I think people should know about MCT’s commitment to working with local actors and production crews. Michael Wright is so dedicated to promoting Milwaukee’s theatre community and I appreciate that so much. I also love Michael’s commitment to diversity in the plays and actors he selects. You will find well-produced, thought-provoking life stories on the MCT stage, and characters that you can connect with. It’s a very unique experience and I just think everyone should be enjoying it as much as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment