Monday, October 31, 2016

MCT Board Member Profile: Maureen Chavez-Kruger

by Max Siegle

1. TO GET STARTED, TELL US A LITTLE BIT ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND.

I was born in Wisconsin and grew up on the northwest side of Milwaukee. I attended Mount Mary University and studied interior design and art. During my senior year at Mount Mary, I participated in an internship at the Milwaukee Repertory Theatre and that marked the beginning of my career in theatre. I continued my studies at Boston University and received my Master’s in Fine Arts in Scenic Design. 

After some time in Boston and New York City working in the field, I returned to Milwaukee and landed a job back at The Rep. Turns out, the supervisor who I worked for during my internship, Richard Rogers, hired me as a scenic painter. I spent five seasons painting scenery, designing productions, and growing as a theatre artisan.


2. YOU ARE NEW TO MCT BUT HAVE PAST TIES TO THE COMPANY’S PRODUCING ARTISTIC DIRECTOR, MICHAEL WRIGHT. TELL US ABOUT THAT HISTORY. 

I first met Michael Wright in the late '9
0s. I was working at The Rep and Michael was at Next Act Theatre. He came to one of my shows and we talked in the cabaret afterwards about designing a show for Next Act called HAUPTMANN (the story surrounding the kidnapping and murder of the son of aviation hero Charles Lindbergh). I accepted Michael’s offer to design and paint the production. 
Maureen Chavez-Kruger.

We reconnected more recently through my work at Carthage College where I currently teach in the art and theatre departments. Michael came to see one of our shows and we talked afterwards about getting together for lunch to reconnect. At our lunch date, we caught up on each other’s personal and professional lives and then he inquired about my interest in designing for MCT and if I would be interested in being a part of the MCT Board of Directors. He told me it would beneficial to have someone on the board who could bring the voice of the professional theatre artist to the table. I was flattered to be asked and happily accepted the offer. 

Since Milwaukee is my home, I wanted to be part of supporting and giving back to the artistic community and just making sure that theatre gets its recognition. I also love the educational aspect of theatre. Since joining the board, I’ve had the chance to participate in MCT’s Young Playwrights Festival by reading some of the student submissions. I loved that experience and hope to do more things like that ahead.


3. ALONG WITH YOUR SERVICE ON THE BOARD, YOU RECENTLY TOOK ON THE ROLE OF SET DESIGNER FOR "FALLEN ANGELS" LAST SEASON. WHAT WAS THAT EXPERIENCE LIKE? 

I enjoyed creating the scenic design for Noel Coward’s FALLEN ANGELS. It was my first time working in the Cabot. The Cabot Theatre is such a beautiful space to work in and it presents exciting sightline challenges for the designer. You don’t want the audience to miss out on the action, so you must work hard to secure good views from all of the angles. We also pulled in some of the colors from the Cabot into the scenic design so they could complement each other. Michael and I were happy with the final outcome of the design and felt as if it supported the words of the the playwright and created a wonderful space for the actors to perform. The process was delightful and I look forward to another opportunity to design for MCT.


4. FAVORITE ACTOR(S) YOU’VE SEEN ON THE MCT STAGE SINCE JOINING THE BOARD? 


Jenny Wanasek, who recently played Sonia in VANYA AND SONIA AND MASHA AND SPIKE. I thought she played her character with a lot of dimension and was very real. I’ve also seen her perform around Milwaukee. It’s nice to see a familiar face on the stage. 


I also loved everything Marcella Kearns brought to her character, Berthe, in MCT’S production of BOEING BOEING.



The cast of FALLEN ANGELS were a strong and well-balanced ensemble who worked well together and honored the show.

5. TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR CAREER IN THE ARTS. TEACHING HAS BECOME A BIG PART OF YOUR LIFE.


I have spent 25 years working in arts and theatre education at the college level. I started at Cardinal Stritch University, teaching in the art department and designing for their theatre department. I’ve worked at Carthage College since 2006 in the art and theatre departments. My husband, Herschel Kruger, also teaches at Carthage, and every other year, we take a group of students on a J-Term trip to New York City. It’s a complete immersion in the study of the Modern Art and Theatre Movements and how they have influenced contemporary art and theatre. We have also traveled overseas with students to study art and theatre: Greece, Scotland, and Berlin. I enjoy the chance to not only broaden the students' education but mine as well, and bring back the knowledge to the classroom and to our professional work within the Milwaukee area.

My teaching also enables me to be a part of original theatre productions. Carthage College developed a New Play Initiative series and I will be designing our next show from playwright Regina Taylor. THE REGINA TAYLOR PROJECT focuses on the life of voting rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer, from her beginnings in abject poverty to the halls of power in Washington, where she testified before Congress with the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. The production will utilize iconic songs immortalized during the struggle for civil rights and span Fannie Lou Hamer’s life while still connecting to contemporary struggles regarding race. The show will be timely, with connections to the current Black Lives Matter movement. The production runs from March 3-11, 2017.

6. WHAT DO YOU DO FOR FUN? ANY HOBBIES?
I love spending time outdoors. Yoga, bicycling, golf and sailing are some of my favorite activities. I also like to draw and love traveling. My husband and I will be heading to Peru and Mexico in the spring of next year.


7. FAVORITE PLACE TO GRAB DINNER BEFORE A MCT SHOW?
Conejitos in Walker’s Point. It is a quick and simple dining experience with the best tostadas and margaritas. To top off the evening, we head to The Purple Door for the most innovative ice cream flavors in town! Favorite flavor: chai tea.

8. FAVORITE WISCONSIN SPOTS?
Milwaukee’s lakefront. I live in Shorewood and can take a walk to the lake at Atwater Beach or grab my bike and jump onto Oak Leaf River Trail which takes me to Bradford Beach in 15 minutes. The presence of it… it just feeds you, listening to it, the energy, it is such a gift we have here. 

I also enjoy visiting Devil’s Lake State Park in Baraboo. My family and I enjoy hiking, swimming, camping and rock climbing. The landscape of the park sweeps you away to a whole new world. Favorite spot: Parfrey’s Glen.

9. FAVORITE SUMMER FESTIVAL IN MILWAUKEE?
Mexican Fiesta. I love the food and the music, and a lot of my family attends the festival. Part of my heritage is Mexican and it’s important for me to maintain the cultural ties that are available in Milwaukee. My grandparents were actually part of the first wave of Mexican immigrants to settle in the city and establish the Mexican community here (arriving between 1910 and 1940). They are known as “Los Primeros." At Mexican Fiesta, there are photographs and signage where my grandparents are recognized for their contributions. This year, my father (Raul Chavez) and his brothers (Rudolph Chavez and Carlos Chavez) who served in the military forces were included in a special display that honored their service to our country. This November my Uncle Carlo will receive the National Order of the Legion of Honour from France for his military merits in WWII.

10. ANY OTHER ORGANIZATIONS THAT YOU’RE A PART OF THAT YOU ENJOY AND WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT? 


I am a big supporter of the United Community Center in Milwaukee and its celebrations of Mexican culture. I am currently working on a project there to mark Dia de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead, this fall. The organization invites local artists to create ofrendas for someone who has passed away in their life. It’s an important project for me because it allows me to honor and celebrate the lives of my family members and my Mexican heritage.


I also enjoy my work with the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival. This national program allows student artists to showcase their work and receive constructive feedback from professional theatre educators. I participate as a scenic design respondent for the Region III division of this program.



11. BACK TO MCT: WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE PEOPLE IN THE AREA WHO MANY NOT BE FAMILIAR WITH THE COMPANY TO KNOW ABOUT IT?
I think MCT does a great job revisiting the classics that people are comfortable with and then drawing them in for innovative, new works. Having a smaller and larger theatre venue is a big plus in terms of offering different theatre experiences for patrons. Many smaller companies don’t always have that feature. 



You will also see familiar faces on the stage, and most importantly, Milwaukee actors. MCT hires a lot of local artists (actors and technical artisans), so it keeps them here and they can make a living in their craft. I think that’s an important thing to say. A lot of my students are getting out in the world and looking for work, and I think MCT also keeps an eye out for emerging talent and nurturing their careers. 



Finally, I think MCT is working to bring a variety of voices and a more diverse audience base to their productions. Our community is so diverse, so rich in culture, that we have to make sure that we share stories for everyone, and try to bring people together. Theatre is the ultimate artistic means to educate, entertain, heal, and connect the world together.

No comments:

Post a Comment