Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Meet Thomas Kindler

We're getting closer to opening night! Today we're taking a closer look at Thomas Kindler who is debuting in the role of Nick Burns at MCT. Thomas is finishing up his summer here at MCT and will be a freshman at Brookfield Central High School this fall. This kid does it all - sings, acts, and of course, plays the ukulele! Don't forget to catch him onstage for this show, August 9-26! 

Thomas Kindler
What are some of your favorite moments in theatre that made you who you are today?
I have been really fortunate to be cast in some great roles at First Stage Children's Theater and in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD at the Milwaukee Rep.  One of my most memorable moments was when I shaved my head to play Oliver Warbucks in ANNIE, JR. when I was in fifth grade.  I'm excited to create more memorable moments during this show, too.

Tell us about your first reaction upon reading A THOUSAND CLOWNS.
I was interested by the fact that there is no real ending to the show -- there could easily be a sequel to the movie.  I thought the script was really funny and doing a comedy with adult performers has been an eye-opening experience!


What’s it like playing an instrument (ukulele) you’ve never played before in front of an audience?
Well, I haven't played it in front of an audience yet, but I've been motivated to purchase my own uke and continue learning to play behind the scenes of the show.  Thanks to my fellow cast members for putting up with my constant playing!

From your perspective, how would you best describe your character?
An old soul, Nick Burns is smart, a laugher (as they put it in the show), and although Nick is much younger than Murray, he is forced to act as the adult in many situations.  He is learning from Murray how to live as a free spirit.

If your character could spend a day in Milwaukee, where would they go and what would they do?
Nick would first ask Murray if he was going to get a job today, then he would head off to the Milwaukee Public Library to pick out a few educational books for some light reading.  He would get a reuben sandwich for lunch at the Milwaukee Public Market and then end his day by attending the monthly Milwaukee Ukulele Club meeting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment